Securing the SMEs
- Only 50% responded that they already have a plan in place.
- SMBs experienced a median of 6 outages in the past year. The top 3 reasons for downtime include cyberattacks, power outages, employee errors and upgrades, with each occurring a median of once per company in the last year.
- Only half of companies surveyed back up at least 60% of their data, and less than half back up their data weekly or more frequently. Only 23% back up daily.
- Only 28% have actually tested their recovery plans, which is a critical component of disaster preparedness.
- Downtime costs SMBs a median of $12,500 per day.
- SANS 20 Critical Security Controls, SANS
- Information Security Policy Templates, SANS
- Establishing a corporate security policy, IDA & SiTF. March 11, 2011.
- Security is everybody’s responsibility, IDA & SiTF. March 11, 2011.
- Securing company information, Cyber Security Awareness Alliance. March 10, 2011.
- Essential infocomm security practice, SiTF. March 11, 2011.
- How to Build Multiple Layers of Security for your Small Business, Paul Mah. February 23, 2012.
- Security Case Studies
- Magic Quadrant for Endpoint Protection Platforms, Gartner. January 16, 2012.
- Guidance on Blogs and Social Networking Web Sites, FINRA. January 2012.
- Uptick in Cyber Attacks on Small Businesses, Brian Kerbs. August 03, 2012.
- Hackers attacking smaller companies, Mike Freeman. May 10, 2012.
- Singapore SMEs increasing emphasis on IT protection, Singapore Business Review. August 20, 2010.